Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day!

Valentine's day was established in 496 AD by Pope Gelasius I in celebration of "romantic love". It was originally a day that lovers expressed their love during the courting process. Courting? I think that my grand parents courted...? My generation dates, sees or talks to someone they are interested in.

Valentine's Day has always been a day to exchange flowers, cards and confectionery. Yes, confectionery. A.K.A chocolates. What a great way to seduce your "courting" partner. Put them in a sugar coma.

Valentine's Day is a great day to remind the people that you love, that you love them. Should we not remind them everyday? I know, I know, it's a smushy holiday to be cutsie, wootsie and I just said that it is based on an old tradition. I do believe that it is overrated and has been exploited by big time corporations like major card and gift companies, but they have to make a buck.

I think that the best gifts are the genuine smiles, hugs, winks and I love yous. I am cheap when it comes to these "Hallmark" holidays, but just think for a second. Do you want a $5 card that will be thrown away or do you want a giant warm hug that will be in your memory forever? I choose the hug.

I got in the car this morning to find a pack of Reese cups and a six pack of Mt. Dew. Now that says I love you. You know the way to my heart Jami. Happy Valentine's Day to all, and to all a full belly of chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs. But I'm dying to know how's things going on with daily life with your son etc blog's about baby and his parents of course in their adventures in parenthood.

    ReplyDelete