Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The curse of the drive-thru

Why is it that every time you go through a fast food drive-thru, something gets screwed up? How hard is it to leave off the tomatoes or understand the value of "one" order? I guess that the head sets that employees wear are frying their brains.

Having worked in fast food I understand that during busy hours you may get sidetracked, but I was the only customer at the restaurant. The headset never distracted me and If I did not understand what the customer was saying I would ask them to please repeat. Now you pull up and someone says in a squeaky voice, "would you like to try a combo meal today?" you give your order and there is a long silent pause. Then the voice comes back, "please pull forward." Uhhh...are you going to repeat the order back to me? Probably not because they forgot half of what you just ordered. They will just wait for you to get to the window and say, "did you say that you wanted ranch?" Uh, no. "BREADSTICKS!"

I don't know how many times I have pulled up to a drive through to peer through the window and see the hard working employee standing there with four other employees on their phones. When I worked in fast food, my typical crew was only five people so this leads me to believe that no one is working on anything or it takes all of their combined brain cells to make a salad.

I don't get it!?! The times are changing I suppose. No one cares about quality or customer service anymore. We are all just another number in the line and companies really do not care who they hire to work for them and represent them as long as they will work for minimum wage.

Maybe if the corporations would pay a little more attention to who is working for them and how much they are paying out in mistaken orders, they might realize it would be less expensive to hire quality employees and train them better. Until then, just pick the tomatoe off yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, i work for Costco and i make the joke that they hire any young kid who has a heart beat!!!!

    ReplyDelete