Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Appreciation!

Appreciation: gratitude, recognition, the act of estimating the qualities of things and giving them their proper value.

What is the value of the non-concrete things in your life? What is the value of your family to you? How about your friends? Do you appreciate the things that people do for you?

We sometimes forget to let people know that we appreciate the role that they play in our life or the things that they do for us. I am here to announce to the world the appreciation that I have for my wife. She sometimes thinks that I do not appreciate what she does for Charlie and I, but I do. I may not always remember to stop for a second and say, "Hey, thank you for all that you do Babe.", but I am right now.

Humans are needy. They need feedback. They need to know that they are appreciated. I make sure that Jamie notices when I empty the dishwasher so that I can elicit a response of appreciation. We need to know that our actions have a value to someone else even if they are simple things that we should do on a regular basis without being told or asked to do.

Appreciation is a small thing that can make a huge difference. A simple thank you can mean the world to someone. It does not have to have a dollar value to be noticed. I work a lot of hours to earn the income that my family needs. A simple thank you from Jamie means a lot to me. It lets me know that she understands that I am doing everything that I can to keep her at home with Charlie. Jamie cleans the house and does the laundry on top of taking care of Charlie. I am sure that a simple thank you from me has the same effect on her.

Take a second to think of someone that has done something for you recently or everyday to make your life better. Call them up or send them a card and let them know that you appreciate their effort. We take a lot for granted and become complacent. We often overlook the everyday activities that people do to help us out or make our day a little better.

One day the world maybe a better place if everyone shows a little more appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment